Maintaining your chimney doesn’t have to be difficult, and once you know what you’re looking for, it becomes even easier. However, you may uncover multiple concerns, including creosote. But what is creosote buildup, and why is it dangerous? Learn more below.

What Is Creosote?

Creosote is a tar-like residue that builds up when you burn wood in your fireplace. Additionally, as the air supply in the chimney deteriorates, more creosote forms. Other causes may include variations in chimney temperature, an oversized flue, or burning unseasoned wood.

Is Creosote Dangerous?

Creosote is the leading cause of chimney fires; in large quantities, it can be very flammable. As the substance slowly increases within your chimney, it can become very dangerous—one lone spark can cause your creosote-filled fireplace to ignite.

How Can You Prevent Creosote?

It’s important to note that creosote is NOT preventable; it will happen as long as you use your fireplace. However, you can manage it by burning only dry, seasoned wood; ensuring your chimney has enough oxygen; and scheduling annual chimney inspections and cleanings. Chimcare offers Chimney Cleaning in Seattle, WA, and three other states. Browse our website for more information on your area.

How To Clean Creosote

Keeping your fireplace in pristine condition is another management solution for creosote buildup and its dangers.Weekly chimney-cleanings with a brush and a cleaning log can do the trick for stage 1 creosote buildup. Keeping the proper cleaning equipment in your home helps with these weekly cleanings.

However, if your creosote buildup is beyond the point of no return, the best practice is to seek professional help. It may sound like an oxymoron, but a safe fireplace is a clean fireplace. The best practice is following your weekly cleaning schedule and getting professional help from Chimcare at least once a year.