Dryer Duct Cleaning and Maintenance
Many homeowners don’t know it, but a blocked dryer duct could cause a house fire in an instant. Imagine waking up in the dead of the night to find your house on fire, and then later finding out that your clothing dryer is the culprit. According to the National Fire Protection Association( NFPA), washing machines and dryers contribute to about one out of every 22 house fires, simply because people fail to clean the machines.
Experts agree that every homeowner should make it a point to have their appliances checked by a dryer duct cleaning professional from time to time to prevent fires and other mishaps.
Helpful Dryer Duct Cleaning Tips
Just as you service your vehicle by changing the oil, rotating the tires, and carrying out other essential maintenance, you have to take care of your dryer. If you’re not sure where to start, the following tips should help:
- Always use the heat-resistant flexible duct, which helps avoid a house fire.
- Do not use your dryer without a lint filter.
- Clean the lint filter at least twice a week, depending on how often you use the dryer. Lint buildup in the vent or drier could possibly ignite due to the heat of the dryer, starting a fire.
- Clean the dryer periodically to keep it in good working condition.
- Ensure that the dryer is plugged in to an appropriate outlet.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and do not overload the dryer.
- Call a dryer duct cleaning professional at least once a year.
Although you may think that you can handle the situation on your own, when it comes to serious issues such as these, leaving it to the experienced professionals just makes sense.
Selecting the Right Dryer Duct Cleaning Company
When hiring a dryer duct cleaning professional, be sure to ask the right questions. Steer clear of fly-by-night operators and handymen, who could be amateurs and not know how to properly service a dryer duct. The company you go with should employ professionals with years of experience and expertise in the domain, and make use of professional-grade equipment. Ask the company to provide you with before and after video testimonials of their past work to prove their reliability.